– of the rendezvous, that is. PIAR Items:
- Description: Overcorrected for anticipated too-early arrival time.
- Area of Improvement: Change Management
- Root Cause: Assumed functional highway network. Ha!
- Mitigation: Allow 2x as much time if going anywhere on the Edens or the Kennedy.
- Description: Initially parked in wrong garage.
- Area of Improvement: Documentation
- Root Cause: Didn’t ask hotel operator for detailed instructions.
- Mitigation: Ask next time.
- Description: Missed rendezvous with Carl.
- Area of Improvement: Communication
- Root Cause: Didn’t check comments on planning post after early Saturday morning.
- Mitigation: Graze (Midwesterners don’t surf) through the blog at T-2 hours. Exchange mobile phone numbers. Buy Carl a plate of barbecue.
- Description: Wore Bill out walking too far.
- Area of Improvement: Planning
- Root Cause: Unduly elaborate itinerary.
- Mitigation: Traveling-salesman algorithm; taxicabs (implemented).
- Description: Appeared drab and uninteresting by comparison with other attendees.
- Area of Improvement: Work Error (1959-present)
- Root Cause: Couldn’t keep up with Bill’s knowledge of Chicago goings-on and economy/tax issues or Tatyana’s tales of camping trips on river islands in Siberia and eye for architectural/design details.
- Mitigation: Surround self with boring friends, or just get a lot more people to show up next time so I can revert to lurk mode.
Best Practices (I did do some things right)
- Followed Jonathan’s advice and took pictures at Blommer Chocolate; see above, and click for larger.
- Oh, yes. Oh, my, yes. Oh, yes, yes, yes-yes-yes, oh God yes!*
- Not only was the music at Buddy Guy’s terrific, but they’ve got a killer chocolate cake dessert.