No – upon reconsideration, not a lament – more of a bitchy rant, pounded out between finalizing one book, the last chapters of another – both intended for the fall/holiday market season, wherein most of my direct sales are made.
Yes, politics and the social scene appear to be getting stupider, reactionary and more risible in every passing day. Unfortunately, I do not possess a reservoir of spleen the size of Lake Michigan, the hours in a working day, or the energy in which to give certain topics the thorough and at-length venting which they so richly deserve, so a series of brief drive-by crankiness will have to do.
1. Hillary Clinton is not a well woman, as ought to be obvious from her infrequent public appearances, horrific coughing fits, and the hovering solicitude of a guy who may be her medical handler/personal physician. Infrequent appearances, small, sparsely-attended rallies – while Donald Trump – who is in the same age bracket, mind you – keeps going and going like the Energizer Bunny, packing them in by the thousands every other day or two. It could be that she and her people are so convinced that the election is already in the bag, that she need only make the slightest pretense at a campaign. But just looking at her gives me the impression that she is being held together with duct tape, bailing wire and prescription medication.
2. And while I’m on the topic of Hillary, it’s becoming clearer every day that she was a crappy Secretary of State. After being a so-so Senator, and an indifferent and difficult first lady. Really, I would have had a titch more respect for her if she had given that hound-dog of a husband his walking papers as soon as they were clear of the White House. But then, it’s not a marriage, in the true sense of the word; rather, it’s a grubby little business arrangement into which I do not believe love and mutual consideration were ever a consideration … only towering ambition. Her primary focus was not on the good of the nation or the well-being and security of American citizens, but as always, on how much she could grub by selling out to foreign nationals and interests. Which is the best definition of an oligarchy or banana republic. The ruling class does what is best for the bank account and power accrued to the ruling class … not what is best for the nation over which they pretend to govern.
3. Oh, and casually violating security protocols, every time she turned around? No – anyone in the military, or at a level high enough to have a security clearance knows all about how to treat secure information. Either Hillary is the dumbest person ever to hold a security clearance, or … well, enough about Hillary.
4. What about another infuriating public personality, touted as the very perfect modern millennial capital-f Feminist? Oh, yes – the chubby exhibitionist of everything from her chunky corpus to her unlovely habit of opening her mouth and letting the first thought which pops into her brain come out between her teeth a millisecond later. I speak of Lena Dunham, who for some bizarre reason is encouraged to display both on the public stage, mostly on the basis of a cable TV show which hardly anyone has seen in Flyoverlandia. Yes, the darling of the New York glitterati … who upon scoring an invite to some high-powered event beloved of the fabulously photogenic glitterati was seated next to another celeb of whom I have heard rather less. A certain rather fit, somewhat good-looking NFL athlete who proceeded to pay absolutely no attention whatsoever to Ms. Dunham, apparently to her chagrin – loudly expressed on a talk show days later. Look, Lena, sweetie – being chunky and only moderately-attractive when compared to movie stars and models is not a challenge to an intelligent woman. You only have to put some sincere effort into being charming and intelligent. A clever, socially-adept woman, displaying a flattering and sincere-seeming interest in the person next to her at some brief social affair … well then, the world is an oyster. But you really have to make the effort, first.
5. And speaking of NFL football players … I suppose I must speak of Colin Kaepernick, who has famously decided to go all out for a Black Lives Matter demonstration by refusing to stand for the National Anthem, on the usual social justice whiner grounds regarding some supposed eagerness of police departments to murder poor innocent young youths of color. Well, his right to do so, I suppose. Mine to note that here was a supremely talented and fortunate youth, earning more in a year than I likely will make in a lifetime, even military pension, book royalties and various book freelance fees all counting. And mine also to note that the rest of us are perfectly free to shift whatever interest we have in professional sports elsewhere. To gardening, or needlepoint, or whatever. Or maybe even getting out ourselves and exercising.
Series of mini-rants hereby concluded. Discussion welcome.