The other ChicagoBoyz seem to have been out doing something fun this Labor Day weekend, leaving me at the helm. Woo hoo. I have littered the place up with a bunch of rock’n’roll stuff, and empty beer bottles, as well as a few things having to do with war and politics, but no graphs or charts. (I should resolve to have more “econ” in my posts. Talk about business models, and use expressions like “risk premium”. So I’d fit in better around here.) Lest you become exhausted scrolling down looking for something worth reading, here’s a handy, time-saving list:
1. Kim Shattuck sings White Rabbit, Lex swoons.
2. Walter Russell Mead (Mr. “Jacksonian”) interview.
3. Election? What election?(There is something screwy about this post. You may have to scroll down.)
4. I still say Hillary is running.
5. Kaplan and War Nerd on the Costs and Techniques of Empire.
6. Lex has a snit about some Catholic bashing.
7. Groovy 1977 Punk Rock Nostalgia.
This scratches the surface of what I would like to write about. Other stuff includes a post about the incredible prescience and timeliness of the writings of James Burnham, or one about the excellent military history books of Bruce Gudmundsson, or one about some recent books on the American military I’ve been reading, or a piece about the Duke of Wellington’s remarkable essay about why Napoleon lost in Russia, or a bunch of stuff about the California recall race. That’s all just off the seat of my pants, and not knowing what is going to happen tomorrow. But life has its demands. Blogging is much like a drug habit, which we fight to keep under control. We do what we can.
Best wishes to all parents and students and teachers who are starting a new school year on September 2, 2003, or soon thereafter.