Back when I did computer tech support, we had a rule of thumb for evaluating the significance of reports of unusual and previously unreported failures .
- One report of a failure is a fluke.
- Two reports of a failure is a coincidence. It might just be two users making the same error.
- Three reports indicates a pattern of failure that arises from the hardware or software itself.
This rule of thumb evolved after observing the failures of millions of computers. We learned that three separate computers would only suffer the same failure if the failure arose from a common source in the computers themselves. Just three machines out of millions told us we most likely had a systemic problem.
This brings me to the Acorn child prostitution scandal.
- One report from an Acorn office was a fluke. Any large organization, public or private of any creed can be infected by amoral individuals who will try to use the organization to commit illegal or unethical acts. No organization larger than a few dozen people can police the actions of every member, all the time.
- Two reports from two separate Acorn offices was just a disturbing coincidence. The same reasoning as above applies, because in a large organizations, just as in a large installed base of computers, it’s possible for two separate bad eggs carrying out the same acts to show up in the same organization.
- Three identical reports of the same failure from three separate offices indicates the criminality arises from the organization itself. It is highly unlikely that, out of the hundreds of Acorn offices around the nation, the journalist just happened to wander into the three offices whose managers wouldn’t blink an eye at helping to set up a brothel using children.
This degree of organizational systemic rot has to come from the head. I think that much is obvious. Something in Acorn’s organizational culture made these people feel that it was okay and expected for them to give the criminal advice that they did. Certainly, if Acorn had been a private for-profit company, three separate and wholly unrelated incidents would have been enough for leftists to demand the heads of the corporate officers.
The really disturbing part is how in all three cases the managers of the Acorn offices don’t even bat an eye when the journalist asks about setting up a brothel. Further, they seem to have the logistics and legal tangles of using a brothel to fund a political career already well thought out. I don’t know about you, but if someone ask me how to run a brothel using minors and how to funnel that money into the a political campaign, I would have to stop and think about it for while. The fact that they have the answers already queued up and ready to go tells us one thing…
… this is far from the first time they have provided this kind of “assistance”. They know the answers because they’ve been asked them before and they’ve answered them. Repeatedly.
We might also note that in most cases illegal immigrants are forced into prostitution against their will. Alone in a foreign country they have to serve their pimp’s pleasure or risk being killed or having their family members killed back in their home country. This is doubly true for minors. There is a nifty term for holding people against their will and forcing them to work for you:
Acorn was promoting slavery. Sexual slavery. The sexual slavery of children.
Is that overwrought? Well, it isn’t in my book but then I have a low tolerance for the sexual enslavement of children. If someone had seriously asked me the same questions the journalist asked the Acorn managers, I would still be cleaning the blood splatter off the ceiling. Perhaps in leftist circles the involuntary prostitution of minor illegal aliens is not considered a big deal.
I do know for certain how horrible Acorn’s acts would be viewed as if they had been a non-leftist organization.
But this is what I really don’t understand:
This systemic criminality is an act of treason against both Acorn’s supporters and the people they were supposed to help! There is no other word for this level of betrayal. Honestly, what greater crime could an organization commit against the sensibilities and trust of leftists than to support criminal activities that degrade the communities of our nation’s most poor and helpless? What greater sin is there in the leftists’ lexicon than the literal sexual enslavement of children?
Where is the blind rage from the left? Why aren’t they mobbing the offices of Acorn and dragging the corporate officers out into the street? How bad do things have to become within a leftist organization before the rest of the left says, “Enough! You are no longer part of us!” How long will it take for the left to cast Acorn from the fold? How long before they stop making excuses and condemning those who brought this evil to light and instead clean their own house?
The world watches and wonders. This is their moment to demonstrate their integrity.
[Update (2009-9-14 9:52pm): According to several post on this Hot Air thread, the same guys who did these three videos will release something else tomorrow which they describe as “devastating”. I’ve got ask, once you’ve caught an organization assisting in the sexual slavery of children, what the hell do you do for an encore? I mean, is there a mass grave in the Acorn basement or what?]
[Update (2009-9-15 8:24am): I think it goes without saying that this can’t be the only crimes that Acorn is committing/enabling on a routine basis. This kind of systemic rot means that other crimes must be waiting to be discovered. For example, if they don’t bat an eye at the sexual enslavement of children, what would they do for the local drug lord who makes a hefty donation?]
[Note if you have trouble posting because of the spam filter, email me at the address at the upper right.]